CLA can help you understand the impact of this monumental ruling, respond to new sales tax collection obligations, and outline steps to navigate this complicated landscape.
What's on your mind?
- Understanding your sales tax reach post-Wayfair
- Knowing the minimum sales thresholds in the states you do business with
- Determining which transactions are subject to tax
- Sorting through state rules and their varying enforcement dates and tax rates
- Registering with tax authorities and managing ongoing sales tax compliance
- Mitigating past exposure
- Updating internal processes to document exemptions or get compliance ready
A unique approach
The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Quill means “remote sellers” may have economic nexus and be required to collect and remit sales tax, even if they have no physical presence in the state.
You don’t have to scramble to learn the emerging sales tax rules of all 50 states. CLA’s state and local tax professionals are immersed in the Wayfair conversation, so we understand the complex tax laws in each state and jurisdiction where your company does business. We have deep experience in industries like yours and can evaluate your multistate sales to assess your tax reach, analyze your readiness, and evaluate your exposure.
Post-Wayfair sales tax nexus assessment services
- Historical nexus study to establish your overall state nexus profile
- Risk mitigation of prior exposure, including voluntary disclosure agreements (e.g., Indiana's VDA)
- Economic nexus and use tax notification analysis
- Audit and appeals assistance
- Sales and use tax refund (reverse sales tax audit)
- Sales tax compliance outsourcing
- Review the taxability of your revenue streams to determine if economic nexus applies and to help evaluate any past exposure
InsightsSee All Insights
Article 8/2/2021New Proposal Terminates Employee Retention Credit for Q4 2021
Media coverage 7/21/2021Valuing turbine or tower leases with farmland purchases
Article 7/19/2021PPP Loan Necessity Questionnaire Retired, Review Prep Still Critical
Media coverage 7/16/2021NCBA Beltway Beef Podcast - Deep Dive into Federal Tax Policy
Media coverage 7/14/2021Expanded Employee Retention Credit Q&A