Lower your utility costs by reducing or eliminating utility sales tax.
Many states allow a sales tax exemption on electricity, natural gas, and water when used in manufacturing, processing, fabrication, assembly, agriculture, and mining activities.
What’s on your mind?
- Reducing energy costs
- Increasing cash flow
- Focusing your time on running the business
A unique approach
A utility study project can help your business reduce utility costs associated with the manufacturing process. CliftonLarsonAllen's state and local tax (SALT) team keeps up-to-date on sales tax legislative changes to ensure the study encompasses all qualifying energy users.
When required by a state, CLA’s licensed engineers are available to review and sign-off on the energy usage study by confirming mathematical accuracy and adherence with generally accepted engineering principles.
Utility study services
- Lower or eliminate monthly sales tax payments, find refund opportunities, and plan future benefits
- Identify qualifying machinery and equipment by reviewing business activities conducted in the state
- Calculate annual kilowatt usage for all production and non-production energy users
- Prepare all necessary forms and statements to request up-front sales tax exemption or refund
- Provide audit documentation to support the exempt percentage, including detailed energy consumption schedules and engineer certification letter