Take advantage of state sales tax exemptions on electricity, natural gas, and water when used in manufacturing, processing, fabrication, assembly, agriculture, and mining activity.
What’s on your mind?
- Reducing energy costs on utility bills
- Increasing cash flow
- Supporting your utility tax exemption in the event of a state audit
Create opportunities with CLA
CLA combines licensed engineers with state tax professionals to offer you a utility study (sometimes called a predominant use study) with a distinct advantage.
Get a projection of annual utility savings
Give us a few months of utility bills. We’ll perform a complimentary review to see if a utility study may be valuable to you.
Our tax professionals are immersed in the sales tax rules, so we know what qualifies for savings in your business activity, while our engineers will give you confidence that your refunds will be able to stand up to state scrutiny.
CLA will “scale the heights” to find all the savings available to you — even if it means climbing the roof to examine the HVAC system.
Utility study services
Our engineers and tax professionals will:
- Identify qualifying machinery and equipment according to each state’s business activity rules
- Calculate annual utility usage for all production and non-production equipment as required by the state
- Prepare all forms and documents to request sales tax exemption or refund
- Provide audit documentation to support the exempt percentage, including detailed energy consumption schedules and engineer certification letter
InsightsSee All Insights
Article 10/26/20215 Things to Discuss With Your Tax Advisor Before Year-End
Article 10/26/2021PPP Loan Forgiveness >$250k? Rhode Island Division of Taxation Form Coming
Article 10/19/2021Proposed Bill Would Terminate Employee Retention Credit for Q4 2021
Article 10/15/2021The Future of Life Plan Communities
Media coverage 10/7/2021Operations That Liquidated Livestock Due to Drought May Receive an Extension
EventsSee all Events
Webinar 11/17/2021Financial Health Webinar Series for Individuals
Webinar 11/9/2021Managing Your ARPA Funds
Webinar 11/3/2021Qualified Opportunity Zone Benefits and Investment Alternatives