Take advantage of state sales tax exemptions on electricity, natural gas, and water when used in manufacturing, processing, fabrication, assembly, agriculture, and mining activity.
What’s on your mind?
- Reducing energy costs on utility bills
- Increasing cash flow
- Supporting your utility tax exemption in the event of a state audit
Create opportunities with CLA
CLA combines licensed engineers with state tax professionals to offer you a utility study (sometimes called a predominant use study) with a distinct advantage.
Get a projection of annual utility savings
Give us a few months of utility bills. We’ll perform a complimentary review to see if a utility study may be valuable to you.
Our tax professionals are immersed in the sales tax rules, so we know what qualifies for savings in your business activity, while our engineers will give you confidence that your refunds will be able to stand up to state scrutiny.
CLA will “scale the heights” to find all the savings available to you — even if it means climbing the roof to examine the HVAC system.
Utility study services
Our engineers and tax professionals will:
- Identify qualifying machinery and equipment according to each state’s business activity rules
- Calculate annual utility usage for all production and non-production equipment as required by the state
- Prepare all forms and documents to request sales tax exemption or refund
- Provide audit documentation to support the exempt percentage, including detailed energy consumption schedules and engineer certification letter
We also offer reverse sales tax audits to capture past overpayments and historical nexus/cost segregation studies to help you grow your operations with confidence.
InsightsSee All Insights
Blog 5/9/2023Welcome to CLA’s McDonald’s Franchisee blog!
Article 5/2/2023Washington State Capital Gains Tax Held to Be Constitutional
Media coverage 4/28/2023Mitigate Tax Issues When It’s Time to Exit the Farm
Media coverage 4/24/2023CLA’s Prinzo Offers Options for Small Businesses With Large Tax Bills
Media coverage 4/20/2023CLA’s Brian Ream Discusses Backdoor Roth IRAs With USA Today
EventsSee All Events
Event 7/15/2023 – 7/19/2023Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA) Annual Conference & Exhibition
Webinar 6/27/2023Employment Tax Credits for McDonald’s Franchise Owners
Event 6/21/2023 – 6/23/2023The 23rd Annual U.S. Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing Forum
Event 6/14/2023 – 6/15/20232023 Florida Nonprofit Training Academy