Preparing for transition
Planning a Transition — Who Should You Surround Yourself With?
- Transition is a one-time event. Engage a professional advisor to help you get it right.
- Work with your advisor to create a customized plan that meets your goals.
- Assemble a team that can provide all the services your transition requires.
Are you planning to transition your business?
Planning your transition from your business can be the most exciting time of your career — or, because you only have one chance to get it right, one of the most challenging. Engaging a professional owner transition advisor to help anticipate and address problems can make your transition a well thought out event. They can help you lay out a plan that incorporates what matters most to you:
- Providing for your family and your business in the case of tragedy
- Family dynamics surrounding asset and ownership transfer
- Preparing for a successful business transfer to employees, heirs, or outside buyers
- Positioning the business for a profitable sale or merger
- Safeguarding continued business growth
- Securing your legacy in the community
- Retaining enough assets to fund your retirement
The act of transitioning can be very emotional, with a mix of personal and business complexity. No matter what stage of the transition process, surrounding yourself with key advisors is essential.
Start by working closely with your owner transition advisor to outline your dreams and goals — both personally and for your business. Then, work together to design a plan specifically for your organization, your objectives, and your values.
Ultimately, the decisions you make ahead of the transition have long lasting impact on the business after you are no longer involved. Having a close connection to a team of professional advisors can alleviate much of this burden. When assembling your team of advisors to help implement your transition plan, look for a team with capabilities for:
- Business transfer strategies
- Comprehensive succession planning
- Financial planning
- Insurance and risk management
- Business valuation
- Sell-side due diligence
- M&A advisory
- Investment management
- Strategic tax planning
- Estate planning
Your team of advisors can help you, your family, and your employees prepare for the healthy, productive, and smooth transition.
How we can help
Our team of professional owner transition advisors works alongside you to understand your specific business needs and goals. We’re here to help seamlessly guide you through every step of the transaction process.