CLA helps corporate executives, like you, properly plan for and maximize the value of your stock option grants, restricted stock awards, and other stock-based compensation.
What’s on your mind?
- Understanding your company-provided compensation programs, including incentive stock options (ISOs), nonqualified stock options (NQSOs), and/or restricted stock
- Incorporating your stock-based compensation with your other employer benefits
- Deciding when to exercise your stock options
- Calculating the tax impact of the awards and planning accordingly
- Determining the tax withholding amount and whether estimated tax payments are required
- Paying for the cost associated with exercise of the options
- Determining and tracking the basis of stock acquired
- Deciding whether to sell your company shares
- Knowing when capital gains tax rates will apply
- Understanding the disability, retirement, and estate planning implications associated with restricted stock
Experience our client-focused approach
We take a holistic approach to planning for stock-based compensation by working with you to determine what role these rewards will play in your overall financial picture. Guided by your goals, risk tolerance, and your company’s plan agreements, we’ll collaborate with you to design a tax-aware strategy that’s right for your particular situation.
While the concept behind company-provided stock awards may be simple, there are many complex tax implications to consider. Don’t do it alone and end up paying significantly more tax than necessary from the exercise and sale of equity incentives. Our professionals are experienced in helping clients minimize the tax consequences of stock awards.
How we can help
- Stock option and restricted stock planning strategies
- Individual income tax planning and compliance
- Alternative minimum tax (AMT) planning
- Planning for the impact of the Medicare surtax and net investment income tax
- Personal financial and retirement planning
- Investment management
- Valuation of equity-based awards
Investment advisory services are offered through CliftonLarsonAllen Wealth Advisors, LLC, an SEC-registered investment advisor.
InsightsSee All Insights
Media coverage 8/17/2023CLA’s Jack Rybicki explains UPREITs with Wealth Management Real Estate
Article 8/2/2023Stability, Optimism Seen in Economy, Markets: Summer 2023 Outlook
Media coverage 7/27/2023CLA’s Brian Ream spoke with AARP about a different retirement for Gen X-ers
Article 7/10/2023Is Your Cash Working for You in the Current Interest Rate Environment?
Article 6/21/20232023 Second Quarter Economic Outlook: Answers to Top FAQs