Sandy Giangreco Brown is the Director of Coding & Revenue Integrity at CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP. (CLA) She is an AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM Trainer specializing in Physician Practices and Outpatient Hospitals and also has experience in the HIM, Chargemaster and the Inpatient Hospital side of business. Prior to joining CLA, she managed and developed relationships with clients, coding staff and providers, provides auditing services and performs education sessions for both client staff and providers. She previously supervised staff who audited and educated providers at a large payor/healthcare practice in Colorado. She has more than 31 years of experience in healthcare and medical records management, coding, auditing and compliance in the hospital, outpatient and physician settings. Her areas of specialty include Chargemaster, Revenue Cycle, Oncology, OBGYN, General Surgery, Cardiology, Anesthesia, E/M and Radiology Coding. She continues to do both regional and national presentations for groups such as AHIMA, HCCA, and the AAPC, as well as others.
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Healthcare Compliance Association (HCCA) 2019 – “Compliance Challenges for Advanced Practice Practitioners” and “Compliant Physician Documentation in the Electronic World”
• AAPC Healthcon Conference in April 2019 on “Clinical Documentation Improvement for Physician Practices”
• Speaking at AHIMA 2019 on three different auditing and coding sessions
• Spoke at AHIMA 2019 Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) Summit on “Physician Office Queries and How to Get the Details”
• Many other speaking engagements available on request
The Health Care Compliance Professional's Manual published by HCCA/CCH 2015 and 2019
AHIMA National Convention 2016 - Co-Presenter
• "Compliance Risks in the EMRˆ
• "Key to Physician Billing: Using the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Databaseˆ two sessions
• "Developing and Implementing an Audit Program for Physician Servicesˆ
HCCA National Compliance Conference 2016 - Co-Presenter
• "Compliance Risks in the EMRˆ
• "Creating and Implementing a Physician Audit Programˆ
Co-Presenter at AAPC National Conference HealthCon 2016 - Two sessions - "Implementing a Physician Audit Program" and "Compliance Risks in the EMRs"
Co-Presenter at American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) National Conference September 2015 - "Compliance Risks and Mistakes in the Physician Practice."
Quoted in The Journal of AHIMA - "Anatomy of a Physician Coder; Small, medium and large physician practices all feature these multi-tasking, multi-responsibility coders."
Other presentations and publications can be provided if desired.
Eramo, Lisa A. "Anatomy of a Physician Coder: Small, medium, and large physician practices all feature these multi-tasking, multi-responsibility coders." Journal of AHIMA 83, no.11 (November 2012): 28-32.
Education and Certifications
• Masters in Healthcare Business Administration with an emphasis in Population Health – CSU Global Online (anticipated graduation Sept 2021)
• Bachelors in Healthcare Business Administration – CSU Global Online (BS)
• Associates in Applied Science, Health Information Management from Western Nebraska Community College | Scottsbluff, Nebraska
• AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer
• Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
• Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
• Certified Coding Specialist – Physician (CCS-P)
• Certified Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
• Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
• Certified Professional Coder – Outpatient Hospital (COC)
• Certified Professional Coder – Instructor (CPC-I)
• Certified OB/GYN Coder (COBGC)
In the community
- Currently serving on the Board of Directors for Redemption in Action (Christian non-profit).
- Volunteer for Project C.U.R.E. and most recently traveled to Cote d'Ivoire on a medical mission trip in March 2020.
- Co-Chair of the Data Quality of CHIMA 2016-17
- Co-Chair of the Program Committee of NCHIMA for 2016.
- Project One Volunteer and Team Coordinator/The Giving Tree - Crossroads Church, Loveland CO 2011 to 2018.
- Chairperson of the Physician Practice Committee CHIMA 2010-2016.
Resources and events
Media coverage 9/16/2019CLA’s Giangreco Brown Talks Importance of Coding and Reimbursement Audits