Rob Schile leads CLA's health care research and thought leadership on payment transformation, innovation and changes taking place within the industry. Professionally, he specializes in serving providers across all sub industries of health care by providing strategic, operational, finance and compliance related services.
Rob joined the firm in 1989 starting out with delivering audit, cost report, and tax return services to clients. As part of these responsibilities Rob was responsible for planning, executing and supervising the completion of these services. In addition he was responsible for identifying opportunities for organizations to improve their processes and procedures and developed written reports outlining those recommendations. He also presented those reports to executives and board of directors for the clients he served.
In 1996, Rob left the firm to join Mayo Medical Center in Rochester, MN where he served as a financial analyst supporting the department of internal medicine. In this role he expanded his areas of expertise to focus on:
- Strategic planning
- Finance and budgeting
- Revenue cycle and compliance areas
As part of his role he had the opportunity to work with the medical group practice as well as hospital based services. He supported the cost accounting, budget development, monthly operating reports, and strategic plan development for divisions within the department and the department of internal medicine as a whole.
He was a frequent presenter of information to various physician and administrative leaders throughout the organization.
Rob returned to CLA and broadened his service to clients beyond delivery of audit, cost reports, and tax services into a variety of consulting and advisory services. Rob has led and participated in a variety of different advisory services including:
- Strategic planning
- Operations improvement
- Financial forecasting and budgeting
- Compliance advisory including internal audit services
In 2011, he was asked to serve as the Managing Principal of hospitals and health systems at CLA. In addition to serving clients, Rob is a frequent speaker at a variety of local, regional and national industry events and gatherings. He speaks on a variety of topics including:
- Health care reform
- New payment models
- Revenue cycle operations
- Regulatory payment changes
- Other compliance related matters
Project specific experience
- Issuance and oversight of Financial Audits
- Strategic planning and facilitation
- Financial forecasting, agreed upon procedures and due diligence engagements
- Physician productivity analysis
- Pricing analysis
- Charge description master evaluation
- Compliance, including 340B, HIPAA privacy and security, etc.
- New service line analysis
- Benchmarking and performance improvement analysis
- Strategic capital planning and debt capacity
- Third party payer contract negotiations and analysis
- Revenue cycle assessments
- Coding and documentation evaluations
- IT vulnerability assessments
- Reimbursement impact analysis
Bachelor of Science, Northern State University, Aberdeen, SD 1989
Certified Public Accountant 1991
In the community
- Health Finance Managers Association (HFMA)
- Hospital 100 Advisory Board of Directors
- America's Essential Hospitals
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Finance Institute
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Resources and events
Media coverage 3/28/2022Amid disruption, how do we "future proof" health care?
Media coverage 12/3/2021CLA’s Rob Schile and Accounting Today Address Health Care Provider Pressures
Webinar 12/2/2021How Will Legislative Health Care Proposals Impact Employers?
Article 2/27/2019Health Care Disruption: More Than Just Care and Payment Models
White paper 9/5/2013Regulatory Advisor Discusses Final Rule for Inpatient Prospective Payment System