Karen provides tax compliance and consulting services to exempt organizations. Her public accounting career includes providing services to a variety of tax-exempt organizations, including governmental entities, charities, foundations, social welfare, business leagues and associations, colleges and universities, health care providers, religious organizations, and others.
Karen provides a broad range of services to tax-exempt clients, including analysis, planning, and reporting of unrelated business income; intermediate sanctions analysis; organizational structures; corporate compliance reviews; joint venture planning to preserve exempt status; consulting on matters of fringe benefits and compensation; resolving disclosure issues related to Form 990; and maintenance of exempt and public charity status.
- Planning and reporting of Unrelated Business Income
- Intermediate sanctions analysis
- Organizational structures
- Corporate compliance reviews
- Joint venture planning to preserve exempt status
- Consulting on matters of fringe benefits and compensation
- Resolving disclosure issues related to Form 990
- Maintenance of exempt and public charity status
Karen is a frequent speaker on exempt organization tax issues for many organizations including the AICPA, multiple State Societies of CPAs, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), ASAE, Aging Services of Minnesota, Georgetown University Law Center Nonprofit Conference, Washington Nonprofit Legal and Tax Conference, and others.
Upcoming speaking engagementsView More
Resources and event materialsView More
In the community
Karen is a member of the following organizations:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Greater Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- Alliance for Charitable Reform’s new Advisory Council
- American Society of Association Executives
- NACUBO, CACUBO, EACUBO, SACUBO, WACUBO
- Former member, Internal Revenue Service Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT)
Karen has been involved as a volunteer audit committee and board member for multiple organizations.